AGEING WOMEN – CRITICAL CHALLENGES & CONCERNS
India International Center, New Delhi
August 26 - 27, 2013
1. Session - Empowerment: Health and Well Being
Name : Dr. Massouda Jalal
- Affirmative action policy and programs for aged women empowerment as they are more
vulnerable to discrimination, violence, poverty and crisis.
2. Session - Empowerment: Health and Well being
Name : FerdousAra Begum
- Government should ensure older women's access to basic needs, such as, access to
housing, health, security and empowerment on equal terms with men. So that older
women may age with dignity.
- Government should adopt age and gender friendly policies and programs on the basis
of national and international instruments including general accommodation. Number
27 of the CEDAW Convention.
- Government should allocate adequate budget for ageing population and implement policies
and progress for the protection of human rights of older women.
3. Session - Caregiving & Elderly Care
Name : Anjali A Raje
- A percentage of the 2% of the CSR of industries/ corporates earmarkedunder the New
Companies Act must be allotted for senior citizen's programmes/projects.
- The sensitization of school children should be a nationwideprogramme in which senior
citizens act as 'teachers' to inculcate moral views amongst the youngsters – to
help rebuild the deteriorating moral fabric of our country - to have respect for
elders, for women, for hard work.
4. Session - Gender Responsive Policies, Programmes and Practices
Name : Sangita Nirola
- To revise Senior Citizen and make it more rights based rather than welfare based.
- Have a desegregated data on ageing population.
- Ask for UN Convention on Ageing Population.
- Devise plan of action for ageing population.
- Mainstream elderly in policy and programmes
5. Session - Elder Abuse
Name : Lily Thapa
- To look into the Ageing Women with Gender perspectives.
- Provide a platform for elderly people to reduce isolation.
- Sensitize business houses to promote Ageing Friendly employment opportunities.
- Promote Day Care concept for elderly people to avoid them going to old age homes.
- Form a network of organization working for the elderly women in the South Asian
- Submit a recommendation to SAARC to address the issues of witchcraft.
Details of the conference held on "Ageing Women Critical Challenges & Concerns"
at New Delhi on 26-27th August, 2013
Key points of discussion at the Conference
- Ageing Women and Development
- Ageing Women and Health and Advancing Well-being
- Ageing Women and Enabling and Supportive Environment
- Ageing Women and Connected Technologies
CONFERENCE AGENDA & SPEAKERS
- Taking up the cause of older women waiting patiently for years for supportive action
- Country wise understanding of status of older women
- Best Practices
- Influence Government policies